A few different Minecraft issues can be caused by your computers hosts file:
- Authentication servers are down for maintenance when signing in with a Microsoft account.
- Switch to Mojang mode when trying to join servers from a Microsoft account.
- Unable to login to minecraft.net or the launcher, on one device, but can on others.
- Problems purchasing Minecraft.
To fix these issues, follow the steps below to check and clean your hosts file:
Please note: You will require superuser access to complete this tutorial.
1. Open terminal and start a superuser session.
2. Open “etc/hosts” with a text editor.
3. Remove any line that contains “mojang”
4. Save the file
5. Change the password on your Minecraft account.
You can now restart the launcher and login to your account as normal.
Need more help?
If you still need help, make a post on r/MinecraftHelp and one of us will guide you through the steps.